John Mikel Obi is undoubtedly the richest footballer in Nigeria.
- Estimated annual salary of $7-11 million from football and lucrative endorsement deals
- Considered the ‘Richest Nigerian Footballer’ for several years to come
- Currently living a quiet life but his love for luxurious cars and houses is very obvious
Obi’s Net Worth and Salaries
John Mikel Obi’s net worth is estimated to be around $60 million. His salary from his current Chinese team is around $215,000 per week or around $11 million annually. Back when he was playing for Chelsea, Obi had an annual salary of $9.5 million.
Awards Received as a Football Player
Here’s a complete list of John Mikel’s achievements in football:
- 2005 – U-20 World Cup Silver Football
- 2005 – African Young Player of the Year
- 2005 – FIFA World Youth Championship Silver Ball
- 2006 – FA Cup
- 2006 – League Cup
- 2006 – African Young Player of the Year
- 2007 – FA Cup
- 2007 – League Cup
- 2007 – Chelsea Young Player of the Year
- 2008 – FA Cup
- 2008 – Chelsea Young Player of the Year
- 2009 – FA Cup
- 2009 – FA Community Shield
- 2010 – Premier League
- 2011 – FA Cup
- 2011 – UEFA Champions League
- 2012 – UEFA Europa League
- 2013 – Africa Cup of Nations
- 2014 – League Cup
- 2014 – Premier League
- 2016 – Summer Olympics, Bronze Medal
His Football Journey
Here’s a quick summary of John Mikel’s Football Journey:
- His exceptional talent in football was discovered while he was playing at Jos Metropolis Township Primary School where he was a student.
- He was picked by Pepsi Football Academy out of thousands of players who tried out for the spot.
- He began playing professionally in 2005 when he signed up with Lyn.
- In 2006, he began playing for Chelsea. His contract with Chelsea only ended last year when he transferred to a Chinese football team.
- In 2016, he was chosen to lead the Nigerian national team for the Summer Olympics.
- He currently plays for the Nigerian national team, the Super Eagles.
- He’s also playing for Chinese team Tianjin TEDA at the Chinese Super League.
John Mikel Obi’s Endorsement Deals
Endorsement deals are definitely one of the major factors which contributed to John Mikel Obi’s immense wealth.
- Record-breaking deal with Nigerian milk company Peak, signing a 2-year contract worth $20 million
- Five-year endorsement deal with Amstel Malta with an estimated $2 million in the contract
- Signed expensive endorsement deals with major brands like Pepsi and Samsung
Obi’s Current Properties
John Mikel Obi is living a simple and laid-back life. But it’s no secret that he loves purchasing expensive mansion, houses, and buildings.
- Popular British mansion reportedly costs around £200,000
- Owns several prime properties in his home country in the regions Abuja, Jos, and Lagos
- Some of these mansions cost around N850,000,000
Expensive Car Collection of John Mikel Obi
Aside from his incredibly expensive taste in real estate, Obi also has a good eye when it comes to flashy but high-performance cars.
Here are some of Obi’s expensive cars:
- 2010 Bentley Continental GT (Estimated value: $180,000)
- Range Rover Sport (Estimated value: $67,500)
- 2012 Mercedes Benz E-class (Estimated value: $75,000)
The Richest Nigerian Footballer as a Family Man
In 2014, he began dating his Russian wife, Olga Dyachenko, founder of the brand Allegra de Lago. They announced their engagement on September of the same year. They’re now parents to twin girls. The whole family is currently living in China with Obi since he’s currently playing for a Chinese team.
Interesting Facts about the Richest Footballer in Nigeria
Here’s a list of interesting facts about Obi:
- He was born on April 22, 1987.
- He weighs 86 kg and stands tall at 186 cm.
- John Mikel Obi is not his real name. He was actually born as John Michael Nchekwube Obinna but after a mix-up in his passport, he decided to adopt his present name.
- He officially started his football career at the young age of 12 when he was asked to play for the Pepsi Football Academy.
- His father, Michael Obi, owns an inter-state transport company in the Jos region in Nigeria.
- Two major teams scouted him at age 18 which include Manchester United and Chelsea. He decided to go with Chelsea.