Nigeria has a large market for online gambling. Although not everything gambling-related is legal in this country, Nigerian citizens are very fond of gambling in the form of sports betting, lottery, and even casino games. The country’s lack of regulation when it comes to online gambling can complicate things, but it does not prevent Nigerian casino players from participating in various online casino games.
Nigeria’s Gambling History
Nigeria has a complicated gambling situation:
- Land-based casinos are completely legal and can even offer slot games and other forms of gambling to their customers. In fact, the city of Lagos has a high concentration of land-based casinos.
- The two most popular land-based casinos in Nigeria are The Federal Palace Casino and The Le Meridien Eko Hotel.
- Citizens of Nigeria, as well as foreign visitors, are free to access any of the land-based casinos currently operating within the country.
However, the Nigerian government treats online casinos very differently:
- While land-based casinos are legal and accessible to everyone, online casinos are not regulated.
- It’s not legal but participants are not exactly violating any gambling laws, either.
- Sports betting is completely legal both online and offline.
Nigeria’s Gambling Laws
Here’s an informative summary on the different gambling laws in Nigeria:
- Only three gambling activities are legal in Nigeria: sports betting, lottery, and casino gaming.
- Online casino gambling in Nigeria lacks proper regulation.
- Gambling-related laws in Nigeria are solely focused on offline gambling.
- The only way for Nigerian players to access casino games is through offshore-based online casinos.
- A lot of offshore-based online casinos accept Nigerian players.
- Although it’s not completely legal for Nigerian players to sign up and play at offshore-based online casinos, they will not be prosecuted for doing so.
- To sum it all up, it’s frowned upon to play at online casinos but it’s also not illegal.
Lotteries and Sports betting in Nigeria
Here are some quick facts about the other two legal and popular forms of gambling in Nigeria which are Lotteries and Sports betting:
- The Nigerian National Lottery is the country’s own national lottery.
- Lotto Nigeria is considered the country’s national lottery game.
- Funds collected from the national lottery are used for the development of Nigeria’s national sports.
- When playing Lotto Nigeria, the player must choose six numbers from 1 to 49. If the numbers that the player chose perfectly match the winning combination for a particular draw, then the player wins the jackpot.
- The National Lottery Act of 2004 regulates the Nigerian National Lottery.
- In Nigeria, a lottery ticket can be bought from a land-based shop, online, or even from a mobile device.
- Another popular lottery game is the Quick Lotto which has daily and weekly draws.
- Sportsbetting is the most popular gambling activity in Nigeria.
- Nigerians love betting on football, basketball, and cricket games.
- Local and overseas sportsbooks are available for players.
- Nigerians can place their bets at betting shops and through online.
- NairaBet is one of Nigeria’s first local online sportsbooks that is regulated by the Lagos State Lotteries Board.
Online Casinos in Nigeria
In 2013, Nigeria had its first online casino when NairaGames was launched. But as of this moment, it’s not operational. Here are other facts about the current state of online casinos in Nigeria:
- No online casinos are currently operating within Nigeria.
- All online casinos that are currently accepting Nigerian players are offshore-based.
- Some online casinos accept Nigerian Nairas when playing casino games.
- Online casinos which accept Nigerian players are properly licensed by well-known licensing authorities.
- Mobile casinos are also widely available for Nigerian players.
Nigeria’s Mobile Online Casinos
Africa has currently been experiencing an insane growth in the number of people which use mobile devices. Nigeria is one if the countries with the highest growth of mobile device use among its citizens.
These are some of the commonly used mobile networks in Nigeria:
- Etisalat (EMTS)
- MTN Nigeria
- Mtel (NITEL)
All online casinos that accept Nigerian players have a mobile version available. These mobile versions are compatible with Android tablets and smartphones, as well as iPhones and iPads. They also offer a wide range of casino games like blackjack, slots, video poker, roulette, and other exciting games.
Benefits of using a mobile version to play casino games:
- Casino games can be played anywhere
- Players won’t have to use computers or laptops when playing
- Players will be able to multitask while waiting for their laundry to be done or during a long commute
- Hassle-free and easier to use
- Saves a lot of time and electricity
Deposit Options at Nigeria’s Online Casinos
Since most of Nigeria Online Casinos are offshore-based, the payment options for deposits are pretty limited.
Payment methods available for Nigerian casino players:
- VISA debit card or credit card
- Mastercard debit card or credit card
- Bank Wire Transfer
It must also be noted that not every online casino accepts Nigerian Naira.
Withdrawal Options at Nigeria’s Online Casinos
Unlike deposit transactions, there are very few options for players when cashing out their winnings. The most common way to withdraw winnings at Nigeria Online Casinos is through bank transfer.
Players need to check with their bank if there are other options available to process withdrawal transactions easier.
No Deposit Bonuses at Nigeria Online Casinos
Here are some of Nigeria’s Online Casinos and their no deposit bonus offers:
- All Slots Casino (118 no deposit free spins)
- Black Diamond Casino (25 no deposit free spins)
- Box24 Casino (25 no deposit free spins)
- Spartan Slots Casino (25 no deposit free spins)
- 7 Reels Casino (25 no deposit free spins)
- Casino Cruise (100 no deposit free spins)
- EUcasino (15 no deposit free spins)
- Crazy Winners Casino (200 no deposit free spins)
- com (20 no deposit free spins)
- Mongoose Casino (20 no deposit free spins)
Welcome Bonuses at Nigeria’s Online Casinos
Here are some of Nigeria’s Online Casinos and their welcome bonus offers:
- Jackpot City Online Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $1,600)
- Mucho Vegas Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $1,500 with 150 free spins)
- Royal Vegas Online Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to €1,200)
- Caribic Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $300)
- Casino Midas (First Deposit Bonus: up to $3,333)
- Drake Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $5,000)
- Las Vegas USA Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $3,000)
- Slotland Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $100)
- Jackpot Capital Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $600)
- Winward Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $500)
- Wild Jack Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $3,000)
- Treasure Mile Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $500)
- Mandarin Palace Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $200)
- Slotastic Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $300)
- Diamond Reels Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $500 with 175 free spins)
- Uptown Aces Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $8,888)
- Gunsbet Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $100 with 100 free spins)
- House of Jack Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $450)
- 22Bet Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $100)
- 777 Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $200)
- 888 Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $1,500)
- Sun Palace Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to $7,000)
- Betjoy Casino (First Deposit Bonus: up to €125)