Nowadays, football betting is very popular among Nigerian youth. In fact, for some, it has become a “very profitable business.” Statistics have shown that 70% of Nigerian youth are football betting fanatics. It has become more like a mantra or ‘juju’. A young man will ask, “What is the latest Bet9Ja order code?” or “Do you have the coupon code and odds for Bet9Ja?” You can check Bet9Ja or the URL for Bet9Ja (www.bet9ja.com/computer version).
Every street corner you turn to is filled with several people trying to get involved in soccer betting. Nothing is left out as you can see young and old, students, touts, and schoolchildren. When you go to this soccer betting center, you need to see the passion in the eyes of these youngsters. It seems like they are under some kind of spell.
What confuses me the most is that no one says anything about it. But why? I guess the reason is that people see it as a place to get some quick cash.
I heard someone say that soccer betting has helped reduce the crime rate in this country, and I was like, “Oh really? Tell me about it. What crimes have been reduced? Maybe someone should tell me the meaning of ‘evil’.”
Whether you agree or not, soccer betting is gambling. And you know what they say about gambling?
“There are three ways to destroy: women, gambling, and technicians. The most fun is with women, the fastest is by gambling, but most definitely with technicians” – Georges Pompidou.
“A gambler is nothing but a man who makes his living on hope” – William Bolitho.
Pay close attention to the lives of gamblers. Usually, they are poor and pitiful people.
If you can view online soccer betting as gambling, then you will really get my point.
Apart from the quick cash you get from soccer betting, these are the ill effects of soccer betting that eat up the precious lives of our youth like cancer caterpillars:
– Poverty: Soccer betting can turn into a dangerous two-way street when you least expect it. Strange things happen suddenly, and your life can be blown to pieces. One minute you’re rich, and the next, you’re down to your last kobo.
– Wrong Mentality of Wealth: Many involved in soccer betting believe that one day, just one day, their luck will shine, and they will become millionaires. And I ask, how many millionaire gamblers do you know in your area? If you know of any, please comment below.
– Health Issues: Did you know that losing a bet can lead to sadness, high blood pressure, regret, depression, and many negative emotions? Even madness.
– Suicide: While there are no recorded suicides of someone committing suicide due to losing a football bet, the odds are high. Prolonged depression can lead to suicide.
– Frustration and Anger: You need to see the anger and frustration in the eyes of those who have lost bets. It is quite scary.
– Laziness: It makes teenagers so lazy that they forget to do anything with their lives. Most of them do not take a bath because they are busy risking their lives.
– Waste of Financial Resources: I heard of a young man who used his school fees to gamble online and never stopped regretting his actions after he lost. Some people even sell their property and personal belongings for stake. What a sad life!
– False Idea about Money: There is a saying that no woman can endure a gambling husband unless he is a steady winner – Thomas Robert Dewar. Soccer betting makes someone believe that if you lose money, you fail. You know how wrong that idea is.
– Family Conflict: It destroys one’s relationship with family, friends, and colleagues. Due to the obsession with the game, one’s isolation from family members can lead to serious family crises. Of course, no mother proudly introduces her son as a football betting maniac.
– Lack of Vision: Look at the lives of those addicted gamblers, those I call NFA (No Future Ambition). They live only to bet. They live in a fantasy world. Their hope is to one day win at least one million naira. Soccer betting so limits their vision that they believe there is no life outside of gambling.
– Lack of Creativity/Initiative: How can one be creative and innovative when all he/she is thinking about is how to bet? Have you ever wondered that soccer betting sites are made by humans like you? Come to think of it, if Bill Gates was busy putting his life on the line, there wouldn’t be Microsoft. If Mark Zuckerberg spent his time searching for the best betting sites, there would be no Facebook.
The same can be said about successful entrepreneurs like Dangote, Dokpesi Raymond, Linda Ikeji, and all the big names you know in the world.
Let’s face it!
Online soccer betting is WRONG!
You can nail me to it…
If no one says anything about this threat, then we will build a nation of gamblers.
Undoubtedly, soccer betting can pay your bills for a while, but it is never a reliable source of income or wealth. It is not a business that can hire other people to work for you.
Eternal wealth does not come from betting on football. This is for the NFA…
Go get a life. Go make a difference. Do something real for Africa. Africa needs you. The world can’t wait for your next discovery. People can’t wait for your state-of-the-art product/service. Why bury such great talent in the center of football betting?